Welcome to Year 3
Click here to view Welcome booklet
In Year 3 the team are: Mrs Braiden-Smith, Mrs Stacey, Mrs Fannon, Mrs Cross and Miss Read.
If you have any questions or queries, please come and speak to us. We are happy to help.
- Reading books should be in school every day and children should be heard read every evening at home.
- Regular reading will be rewarded with: stickers, house points and privilege cards.
PE Kits and Days
- PE is on Tuesday and Friday for 3BS
- PE is on Tuesday and Friday for 3S
- All children need to wear a white t-shirt, black shorts and black pumps.
Please ensure your child has a full PE kit in school.
Our topic for this half-term is Enter the Nile which has a focus on Science, History and DT within topic work. Learning will include
- In Science, our topic is Rocks and Soils. The children will be learning about different types of rocks and their properties.
- In History we will be studying Ancient Egypt and carrying out an in-depth study into the life and times.
- In DT we will be making a Shaduf, which was how the Egyptians transferred water from the Nile to the fields.
To support your child with their maths here are some helpful hints:
Every child has a login for our exciting new Times Tables Rockstars software. This allows your child to rehearse their times tables, play against other children and have fun with their Avatar. Please encourage your child to use the software and let us know if you have any problems accessing it.
The children need to have good mental skills so quick fire questions can always be a way to help your child. Perhaps while on a long car journey or just when you get the usual moan of “I’m bored…” These can be times tables as these are a real focus for Year 3, who will be the first year group to sit the new Government tables test next year.
The children need to be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide using standard methods and we are beginning to work with them on these methods and then using them to solve real life word problems.
Further to this take every opportunity to involve your child in real-life maths such as going to the shop and buying things. Ask them what have I spent? How much change should I get? If it is bedtime in one hour what time is bedtime? It all helps.
How can you help your child in English?
Here are some great ideas:
- We are closely monitoring the children’s reading and those that achieve our expectation of reading at three times a week, at home, will earn extra house points
- Spend time with child enjoying and talking to them about the book they are reading; are they enjoying it? Support them to explain what they are enjoying about the book and try to compare books by the same author to explore the writing style of that author
- Focus on word types and ask your child to select the noun, verb, adjective, adverb and conjunction in the sentence you have just read. This will reinforce the grammar learning at school.
- Talk to your child about what type of book they are reading. For example, is it a fiction book or a non-fiction book? Explore the contents page and index for non-fiction and characters and paragraphs and chapters for fiction books.
Home Learning Opportunities
Homework will be sent home on Friday and is expected back in school the following Wednesday. Children who do not complete their homework will be expected to during school hours.
The children in Year 3 will also be taking part in ‘Creative Homework Projects’ that we would like them to complete over the coming weeks. The project follows our current theme of Enter the Nile and will allow the children to extend their understanding of the subject, demonstrate their creative talents and share their findings with the rest of the class.
We look forward to seeing the results and would like the children to bring their completed projects into school the week beginning Monday 11th February so that they can share and celebrate each other’s talents before the end of term. We will be inviting parents in to see the children’s home learning and the work we have been completing in school on Monday 11th February.
Mummification workshop Friday 18th January
Also a special thank you to all of you who were able to make our Mummification workshop. Everyone had an absolute blast mummifying each other.
Our topic is Scrumdiddlyumptious and we will be doing the following:
English: recipe texts
Maths: continuing tables development and exploring data and their statistics.
Science: we will be looking at the functions of the different parts of plants and will also grow some of our own and watch their progress over time.
Geography: we will look at how fair trade products reach our supermarket shelves.
This half term we will be studying Mighty metals and the fabulous Iron Man text by Ted Hughes.
This half term we will be studying World War II through our topic We’ll meet again and we will be taking an evacuee’s trip on The Severn Valley Railway during this term too.